How many times during the campaign did we have to listen to Boris lecturing us on how Ken had once said "only some sort of ghastly, dehumanised moron would get rid of the Routemaster", then done so himself; and how Boris Johnson, knight in shining armour, would be riding to the rescue with a new generation Routemaster to save us all from the moron’s work? I don’t know the answer to that question, but I know it was a lot.

But just how much of a ghastly, dehumanised moron would you have to be to spend nine months telling people that if you become Mayor you will bring back an open-backed, conductor-managed "twenty-first-century Routemaster", flying in the face of expert advice and analysis of costings and practicalities, touting this as your flagship policy for months on end… only to have your transport adviser reveal, within your first fortnight in office, that chances are no such thing will ever happen at all?

This much.

The Tory Troll is furious about this, and it’s pretty hard not to feel similarly angry. Londoners, we have been duped, conned, lied to, sold down the Thames, led up the Covent Garden path, taken for a ride – on a bendy bus.

10 Responses to Boris Johnson: ghastly, dehumanised moron

1. Chunters says:

STOP BORIS Wrote “Londoners, we have been duped, conned, lied to, sold down the Thames, led up the Covent Garden path, taken for a ride – on a bendy bus.”

…and the last mayor did’nt lead us down the exact same path?

2. Chunters says:

This article may be of interest…

Cleaning all this up may even bring down our council tax, that would be nice.

3. “the last mayor didn’t lead us down the exact same path”?

Which flagship policy in the previous mayor’s 2000 or 2004 manifesto did he not only fail to deliver but actually backed down on within two weeks of taking office?

As for the article you’ve linked to, why would I be interested in that? It sounds like good news if the police investigation instigated by the former mayor to look into people accused of stealing from the LDA is getting results, but I don’t see what that has to do with scrutinising Boris.

4. WillH says:

Mr.S.B, Shouldn’t that read: “very reluctantly instigated by the former mayor?”

5. I’ve no idea – I wasn’t involved in watching him make the decision! It never came across as something he hadn’t wanted to do when he was questioned about it during the election campaign. As I understood it, some people who were in no way employed by or connected to him were accused of stealing from the LDA and so he called the police to investigate. I’ve filled my brain with Boris for the past few months so I haven’t got much more detail than that about the so-called “Lee Jasper affair”, the criminal aspects of which seem to have not a lot directly to do with Jasper.

I can certainly see that there’s no less “cronyism” in City Hall under Boris than there was under Ken though – even his pseudo-’independent’ audit panel consists almost wholly of Conservatives! I wonder what their conclusion will be about the work of a Labour-left administration!

6. WillH says:

Ooooh Mr. Stop Boris, what a very disingenuous man you are! Quite impressive!
    “I’ve filled my brain with Boris for the past few months so I haven’t got much more detail than that about the so-called “Lee Jasper affair” – that’s a shame, because you’ve been looking the wrong way. You fell for Ken’s slight-of-hand. That’s how he got away with it for so long. You shouldn’t be so easily distracted by confidence tricksters Mr. Stop Boris. They prey on the preoccupied…I worry about people like you, because its always the vulnerable that suffer.

7. “you’ve been looking the wrong way”? No I haven’t. When the Mail group looks one way, it’s almost always sensible to look the other.

The simple fact is that every right-wing journalist and publication in London has had eight years to find evidence of Ken Livingstone’s supposed crookedness and has completely failed to find any evidence at all. You can’t prove a negative but they seem to have done quite a good job of suggesting Ken actually might not be crooked.

The closest they’ve got to showing otherwise is finding some external groups that may have stolen some money given to them by the LDA under the guidance of a bloke who happened to be a close adviser of Ken. It’s quite a long chain and not really the same as finding evidence of Ken’s “sleight of hand”. I have seen no evidence of any wrongdoing by Ken, but if you have some I’d like to hear it of course!

In the mean time I’ll continue to scrutinise someone with a track record of lying and now a clear indication that he’ll be dropping the flagship policy he was elected on. Seems a reasonable course of action to me.

8. Ian_QT says:

Boris is getting the Devil’s Kitchen treatment again over this. As I put it over there, it just goes to show that a blonde, jokey politician i still a politician – and a lying bastard.

9. Cheers Ian_QT – good guest post at DK.

I don’t know what’s happened: that’s at least two posts on DK I agree with in a mere matter of days!

If the tally gets much larger I might have to consider forgiving DK for this rubbish (featuring a substantial retraction at the bottom which rather undermines its prominent title!), which still ranks sixth on Google for “Stop Boris” ;)

10. Chas says:

Boris did not “spend nine months telling people that if you become Mayor you will bring back an open-backed, conductor-managed “twenty-first-century Routemaster”.

His campaign was no more than six months in all, during which time he promised a competition to design a “twenty-first-century Routemaster”. He obviously did not specify the design, since he said there would be a design competition for it. Furthermore, he is clearly not going to bring back a vehicle that was designed 50 years ago.

Mr Ranger made the very reasonable observation that, if a suitable design at a reasonable price cannot be found, the policy would need to be reviewed. What is wrong with that?

Would you say, “We held a competition and got 14 crap designs. So we decided to build the worst one which also happens to be the most expensive”? It’s just the sort of policy that Livingstone would have followed, except couched in mendacious rhetoric. Witness the vile, hateful bendy bus that kills cyclists.