Hello, Boris-watchers. My name is (strictly speaking, not) Mr. Stop Boris. You may know me from such web sites as StopBoris.org, such blogs as the Stop Boris blog, and such lyrical outings as MYR of LDN. Rarely in the history of the blogosphere has one man dedicated so much time to so many closely related failures ;)

Anyway, I’m a bit busy with some personal business for a few weeks at the moment, but I look forward to dedicating some time to some serious Boris-watching from mid-June, and in the mean time I’ll try and stop by from time to time with some small bits and pieces, of which this is the first.

[Between BorisWatch.co.uk being broken for a few hours last night and my computer breaking down this morning, this has taken rather longer to post than intended. If there are any time references in this post, please bear in mind I wrote it last night!]

Paul Waugh of the Evening Standard (still using a blog called “2008 Mayoral race”, incidentally: perhaps I could have carried on blogging under a “Stop Boris” banner after all!) today reports on Boris “five jobs” Johnson (who seems to have gained a job since the URL of that post was first created).

The key new announcement here is that Boris will resume his (previously) £250,000-a-year ‘job’ writing a weekly column for the Telegraph newspaper. Quite how ‘new Boris’, with his suddenly discovered Muslim heritage, his respect for Islam and his reined-in political correctness-challenging, will go down with Telegraph readers more used to his previous, often controversial, sometimes offensive columns, remains to be seen.

But as Paul Waugh points out, combined with today’s other announcement that he’ll follow in Ken’s footsteps as chair of Transport for London, Boris will now be doing five jobs at once.

1. Mayor. This full-time, high-profile, extremely powerful position brings in £137,000 a year, which most of us would be pretty happy with.
  2. Chair of Transport for London. No extra money for this, and it’s sensible since he’s legally responsible for TfL’s fares. No complaints here.
  3. Chair of the Metropolitan Police Authority, from September. The last holder of this post, Len Duvall, devoted three days a week to the job, so demanding and important a role was it. Since Boris is so keen to cut back on all crime (except his own*), one can only assume he will be keen to devote at least as much time to it as Len. He obviously won’t want to give them a target and leave them to get on with it, since he refused to give any hint of a target for cutting crime during his election campaign.
  4. MP for Henley. Now the extra money starts rolling in. At a bare minimum, he must be pocketing the standard MP’s salary of £61,820. On top of this, in 06/07 he claimed £134,306 in expenses, according to a PDF on the UK Parliament web site. (Yes, I realise more than half of this is staffing costs, but staff costs don’t appear to be escaping his scrutiny at the GLA.) And of course, this is another full-time job, between attending Parliament and communicating with constituents, which he intends to fit around his duties in his other four jobs in some mysterious way.
  5. Telegraph columnist. Certainly not a full-time job, but a job nonetheless, and one which used to bring in around £250,000 per year. His new salary has not been disclosed as yet, but he’s already trying to limit the damage by offering to scatter a few notes in the direction of the paupers, according to Paul Waugh’s blog – £25,000 for journalism bursaries and £25,000 for the teaching of Classics (perhaps to ensure that the capital’s schoolchildren can understand his references in Mayoral pronouncements to Hyrcanian tigers and the Anglo-Saxon Witenagemot).

By my reckoning, he’ll have an income, including his MP’s expenses and the donations under no. 5 above (which are hardly set in stone), of nearly £600,000, and somehow expects to be able to fit in the work of almost three full-time jobs in total.

Either he’s developed giraffe-level stamina, or he intends to neglect some or all of the jobs he’s being handsomely rewarded for supposedly doing.

* That subject was going to be the topic of my first post here, but The Tory Troll has beaten me to it and done it with far greater style and humour than I would have managed, so everyone’s a winner.

15 Responses to Jack of five trades, master of none?

1. This was going to be my second post today so I guess we’re even ;)

Good to have you back Mr. Stop Boris.

2. WillH says:

Boris Johnson’s reignation letter as MP for Henley published yesterday:

3. Not strictly speaking a resignation letter as he doesn’t say when he is going to go. It was already established that he would give up the seat at some point- and most probably hand over the Tory candidature to his father. We still don’t know exactly when it will happen though, so for the time being he has five jobs.

4. red-one says:

good to have you back Mr Stop Boris!

Giving up his Henley seat so that his father can stand? Tantamount to keeping his seat i’d say…….

nepotism/cronyism rules ok!

5. [...] Jack of five trades, master of none? [...]

6. Boris has admitted that his new Routemasters may never be built:

Unbelievable.

7. Naadir Jeewa says:

Sorry about the down time everyone. MediaTemple (our host) seems to be having a few issues. I’ll be able to work on it more when exams finish (i.e. this weekend).

8. WillH says:

Tory Troll, the article above makes no mention of the fact that he’s always made it clear that he would resign his seat, and as he indicates in his letter that’s precisely what he’s going to do.

So we can conclude that Mr Stop Boris is either:
    a) Ignorant of the basic facts, or;
    b) being deliberately misleading.
    Which is it?
    Also, might I humbly suggest that Mr Stop Boris changes his moniker? It seems a little odd to advertise his abject failure to er…stop Boris quite so openly. It conflicts a little with his credibility don’t you think?

9. WillH: I have no problem with advertising my abject failure (the only problem I have in relation to my abject failure is its results being so prominent in City Hall). It’s what I became known as so it would be quite hard to rename myself but retain continuity in people’s minds as to who I am.

I guess as a Boris fan you’re all in favour of people changing their identities to suit the circumstances, as with Boris and his ‘SDP days’ at Oxford, or indeed ‘new Boris’ in the election campaign.

As for being deliberately misleading, I’m actually honestly surprised I didn’t mention he would be standing down at some indeterminate point in the future. I’m certainly not ignorant of that fact but I can only think that my subconscious was assuming no-one else was either. I apologise for this omission, which I hope anyone who followed the Stop Boris blog would realise is not my style: I’m happy to set out all the relevant facts and base my analysis on them all, which is why I can sleep soundly at night yet still wonder how Andrew Gilligan and his Evening Standard cohorts do ;)

Naadir: Cheers – and good luck in the exams!

10. WillH says:

Mr. Stop Boris, what a very nice man you seem. Obviously misguided, but nice none the less.
    What was the problem with Andrew Gilligan’s expose? Was it the timing? You can’t have had a problem with the content, surely? It’s all true, isn’t it?

11. Oh no, I’m not getting sucked into one of those debates, especially not when I’m supposed to be in self-imposed internet exile!

Why not have a read through the debate over on Liberal Conspiracy? I find Dave Hill’s comments particularly well expressed and wholeheartedly concur with them. Indeed the majority of comments opposed to Gilligan there are reflective of my own views – and I notice Gilligan still hasn’t answered Dave’s points there.

12. Chas says:

I really don’t think it is in Boris’s gift to hand his Henley seat to his father. Firstly the Henley Tory Association needs to select him (which I would have thought, given the likely competition for a seat that safe, is unlikely). Secondly, the people of Henley would have to elect him democratically – not something you Marxists really understand.

And yes, Boris will hold down a number of jobs. Contrary to all your propaganda, Boris is brighter and more hard working than anyone else you might have come across.

Lastly, his “his suddenly discovered Muslim heritage” is suddenly discovered by you, but to those of us who know a little bit about Boris, it was well known. Are you also now aware that, despite being a swivel-eyed foaming racist, he married a woman who is half Indian?

I’d agree with Chas on this point. One couldn’t merely gift a seat, Stanley would have to be selected. Whatever their intent, it would still be democratic.
    “Contrary to all your propaganda, Boris is brighter and more hard working than anyone else you might have come across.”
    Feel free to substantiate…

14. [...] fifth deputy mayor. Presumably Boris will be so busy writing his weekly column for the Telegraph and other duties that he needs so many deputies around him. It isn’t just that, “We now have a First [...]

15. chichi says:

pls, i was given an assignment in school and the question was “the secondary school teacher is known as jack of all trade, master of none. give answer withexplanation and how it can be changed”. pls help me find a solution to this. Thank you. Chichi.