Boris Johnson is bad for the environment and tells lies. That’s virtually the message coming today from a Tory Council leader in Dartford over Boris’ wish for an airport in the Thames Estuary.
During the campaign, Boris promised that an airport in North Kent had been ruled out. Or so says Tony Kite, Conservative leader of Dartford Council:
“I love Boris Johnson to bits but we are not part of London. If Boris thinks an airport in the area would work then he is an idiot.
When I spoke to him during his campaign he assured me north Kent was not an option. Environmentally it doesn’t make sense and there is not the infrastructure to support it.”
Emphasis mine. If Kite’s telling the truth here, then Boris lied to one of his supporters. As he did to many over the statue of Keith Park in Trafalgar Square?
The plan for an airport in North Kent demonstrates the extent of Boris’ commitment to the environment too – or rather, its limits. He clearly doesn’t oppose the expansion of Heathrow airport because it would be a disaster for the environment. If he did, he’d presumably oppose airport expansions anywhere around London.
But no: he wants one in North Kent. His cycling to work everyday is very green, I’m sure. His apparent desire to further pollute with a new airport the already badly polluted Dartford isn’t.
Oh, and did I mention that North Kent isn’t part of London, but Kent? The clue’s in the name for the geographically challenged. Who, presumably, include the Mayor…
(Tip of the hat to Tory Troll)
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Busacca on Boris’s Transport Manifesto Promises – How’s He Doing?
- mystery pick up artist on Freewheel back-pedalling?
- social media Hitchin on Is It A Plane? Is It A Train? Right First Time.
- Cassi Kantz on Return To Parliament Square
- Noe on West London Free School and the Curse of Boris
- RTC on Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport
- Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport | Boris Watch on Plummeting Cable Car Riders – The Nightmare Continues
- Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport | Boris Watch on Great Boris Lies #6 – ‘At No Cost To The Taxpayer’
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV