One last point on this evening’s surprising story.
I was just pondering exactly when the BBC London footage of Boris not knowing anything about the whole axed anti-racism business was filmed.
The story first broke on Dave Hill’s blog at lunchtime on Sunday, snowballing through various other blogs and media enquiries and so forth, with the news release from the NAAR reaching Dave the following morning, and a response ostensibly offering opinions from the Mayor reaching him that afternoon (Monday).
The story then appeared on page 9 of Tuesday’s Guardian newspaper, and I’m sure other mainstream outlets (perhaps the Standard?) must have been onto it by then too.
So at this point I hope you’ll share my astonishment if I suggest that the footage shown on BBC London tonight, in which Boris barely seems to have heard of Rise, let alone been aware of any of this controversy, may have been filmed on Tuesday, after all of the above had taken place.
This is only a theory at the moment – can anyone (who knows anyone) at BBC London confirm or deny this?
My reasoning relates to there being two graphics indicating the dates on which footage was filmed in the BBC London report. The first appears over John Biggs AM questioning Boris at Mayor’s Question Time on Wednesday, and is correctly labelled as having taken place on that date. However, the second graphic says "Tuesday", but is shown over Boris responding to Biggs’ questioning, still part of the footage from Wednesday. When he puts in his appearance on the street answering questions about Rise, no graphic appears.
This suggests to me that someone switched on the "Tuesday" graphic a few shots too early, and should actually have fired it up over the Rise-related footage.
As I say,
it’s entirely theoretical at the moment, so I’d very much like to hear from anyone who can confirm or deny that the clip is from Tuesday. And if it is, well, I think I’ll be lost for words.
I was pretty shocked when I saw the footage earlier, but if it turns out to have been filmed two days after the story broke and when it had already entered the mainstream national media… well, I’d like to hear anyone defending our supposed visionary genius of a Mayor then.
Update: I have now had it confirmed that this footage WAS from Tuesday. Astonishing.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Harry on Boris Johnson Allegedly Assaulted On A Train
- Chris on Boris Johnson Allegedly Assaulted On A Train
- maureen insole on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
- Patrick Ainley on Which London Borough Is Swindon In?
- RTC on Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV