Croydon Tramlink is officially part of TfL London Rail, having been bought out from its private PFI contractors Tramtrack to save money and remove an stupid inflexible contract (obviously a late-Ken era decision rather than a Boris Damascene conversion). However, it’s brave of Boris to welcome what is effectively a rejection of the Conservative Party doctrine (Tramlink started in 1996 under John Major, naturally using the private sector ideology then prevalent for public sector investment) in favour of Livingstonian public sector control. Just read this:
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: ‘This is marvellous news for tram fans and a fantastic deal for Londoners.
‘This puts an end to the unbelievable scenario of millions of pounds of their taxes being used to pay Tramtrack to keep fares down.
‘We are going to ensure fares are kept affordable and improve services at the same time.
‘Our team is already hard at work planning how trams can further contribute to improving public transport in south London; and I am delighted TfL has already guaranteed passengers will see an immediate increase in the number of services.’
I wonder if Mr. Parker is already looking to sell it off?
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- bit.Ly on Great Boris Lies #8 – Air Quality
- Andrew on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- gagner plus argent on DodgyVisasRUs – Boris’s Ex-Wife And Recently-Appointed Member Of City Hall’s Muslim Engagement Task Force Can “Pull Strings”
- Dave H on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Alexandra Jane Kirby on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Anonymous on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- Anonymous on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- ASLEF shrugged on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV