The Reverend Chris Newlands, chaplain to the Bishop of Chelmsford, said: "The Bishop of Barking did speak face to face with the Mayor at an event at Millwall football stadium on Whit Sunday. They spoke about Lewis then."
That’s pretty clear, and consistent with what a number of Church of England figures have been telling the press for several days. But wait! What’s this sentence, right at the end of the same article?
A spokesman for the mayor insisted that the Bishop of Barking did not talk to Mr Johnson about Mr Lewis eight weeks ago.
Oh dear. Either the established Church of our fair nation is lying, or a spokesman for the Conservative party’s most powerful elected politician is lying. The Daily Mail doesn’t suggest which is more likely – I assume its editorial head is still spinning, trying to work out which of those it supports more.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Sharon on Here Comes Summer! Free Sauna With Every “New Routemaster” Trip
- James on Now Is The Time For All Good Men To Sod Off On A Book Tour
- Bitish rail fan on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- RTC on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- Tim Thornton on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- jim tuite on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- john b on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
- Nick on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV