After the debate on feminism at Blog Nation, as a feminist myself, I vowed to endeavour to highlight the topic in my blog postings wherever possible.
Perhaps through sexist male hypocrisy, I have barely mentioned women at all since then, but fortunately a certain former Mayor of London has made up some of my lost ground by offering a very good and detailed critique of his successor’s apparent attitude to employing the opposite sex.
He concludes, after detailing a large number of cuts in female staff levels and funding for women’s issues:
What has in fact been carried out is one of the most complete purges of women from the senior levels of management ever seen in any administration with corresponding changes at other levels.
It’s interesting that, as he says in this article, little attention has been paid to this issue, compared for instance with comments on his recruitment of ethnic minorities. I assume this is because, while everyone bar the BNP now accepts it’s offensive to discriminate against ethnic minorities, sexism pervades our society to a far greater extent than is ever acknowledged by most politicians, particularly on the right, and media outlets.
Perhaps under a politician with a media career we should not be surprised to see that same sexism pervading Boris’s administration.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Sharon on Here Comes Summer! Free Sauna With Every “New Routemaster” Trip
- James on Now Is The Time For All Good Men To Sod Off On A Book Tour
- Bitish rail fan on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- RTC on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- Tim Thornton on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- jim tuite on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- john b on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
- Nick on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV