In an extraordinary waste of taxpayers’ money, the Guardian reveals this morning that Boris is to pay Porsche £400,000 as he cancels the £25 CO2 Charge his predecessor had planned, which the car company had intended to challenge in the courts.
I knew today was the day when he would be announcing the abandonment of the CO2 Charge when last night I received a news release from Ken Livingstone embargoed ’til 0.01 today. Aside from the obvious environmental criticisms, this is a highlight:
The claim that £10m has been “saved” by scrapping the CO2 charge is entirely false – in reality London will lose £30-£60m expected annual revenue from the scheme.
I have heard Boris describe savings from the abandonment of the scheme before, and I just can’t understand how anyone can suggest that scrapping a revenue-raising scheme could possibly save money in the long term. I think Boris is focusing on the set-up costs and ignoring the ongoing revenue, but this is utterly ridiculous – as is paying nearly half a million pounds to one of the richest car companies in the world.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- cod ghost prestige hack on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- Cycle Hire Use Is Falling | Londonist on Is Barclays Cycle Hire In Trouble?
- prank apps on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- Biedronka gazetka alkohole on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- Boris by numbers | The Musings of a Red Dalek on Venezuela Cash Watch 1/9/08
- http://the-light-fantastic.info/ on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- ジーパン ファッション on Oyster On South West Trains In Jeopardy
- minilanet.bloggplatsen.se on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV