In an extraordinary waste of taxpayers’ money, the Guardian reveals this morning that Boris is to pay Porsche £400,000 as he cancels the £25 CO2 Charge his predecessor had planned, which the car company had intended to challenge in the courts.
I knew today was the day when he would be announcing the abandonment of the CO2 Charge when last night I received a news release from Ken Livingstone embargoed ’til 0.01 today. Aside from the obvious environmental criticisms, this is a highlight:
The claim that £10m has been “saved” by scrapping the CO2 charge is entirely false – in reality London will lose £30-£60m expected annual revenue from the scheme.
I have heard Boris describe savings from the abandonment of the scheme before, and I just can’t understand how anyone can suggest that scrapping a revenue-raising scheme could possibly save money in the long term. I think Boris is focusing on the set-up costs and ignoring the ongoing revenue, but this is utterly ridiculous – as is paying nearly half a million pounds to one of the richest car companies in the world.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- inversion table on South London Line Woes
- Harry on Boris Johnson Allegedly Assaulted On A Train
- Chris on Boris Johnson Allegedly Assaulted On A Train
- maureen insole on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
- Patrick Ainley on Which London Borough Is Swindon In?
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV