Thousands of London bus drivers are demanding the introduction of an equal pay rate. The Unite union has stated that 28,000 of its members voted by a margin of 99% in support of the motion, which would bring all of London’s operators in line.
Pay disparity for drivers working under different operators can be as much as £6000 a year, leading the unions to warn of a “race to the bottom” in wages and work conditions. The joint general secretary of Unite, Tony Woodley, has said that:
“Boris Johnson recently described London bus drivers as the “world’s finest”. If he really believes this then he needs to act quickly to end to the startling disparities in pay across London’s bus network. Our members have had enough and Unite is prepared to take all necessary steps in our fight to end these inequalities.”
A TfL spokesman replied that:
“Bus drivers are employed by private bus companies and as such pay and conditions are set by them.”
“We are sure the trade unions and bus companies will discuss pay and conditions as part of their normal negotiations.”
After temporarily weathering the RMT disputes, it will be interesting to see how Boris reacts to further conflict with unions.
A demonstration of bus drivers, engineers and supervisors is planned for the 24th of July.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Thomas the dooter on “I Don’t Quite Know What The Point Of This Thing Is….”
- undac.net on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- B tech entrance on Fisking The Chiswick-Kensington Urban Motorway
- Simon Atkinson on Great Boris Lies #15: English Ski Instructors Forbidden On The Slopes Of The French Alps
- work from home on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- gta online money glitch on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- eteries stoiximaton on Neo-Victorian Age Update – We Apologise For The Late Running Signalling
- Elmtree on 20mph Trial On Blackfriars Bridge
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV