Thousands of London bus drivers are demanding the introduction of an equal pay rate. The Unite union has stated that 28,000 of its members voted by a margin of 99% in support of the motion, which would bring all of London’s operators in line.
Pay disparity for drivers working under different operators can be as much as £6000 a year, leading the unions to warn of a “race to the bottom” in wages and work conditions. The joint general secretary of Unite, Tony Woodley, has said that:
“Boris Johnson recently described London bus drivers as the “world’s finest”. If he really believes this then he needs to act quickly to end to the startling disparities in pay across London’s bus network. Our members have had enough and Unite is prepared to take all necessary steps in our fight to end these inequalities.”
A TfL spokesman replied that:
“Bus drivers are employed by private bus companies and as such pay and conditions are set by them.”
“We are sure the trade unions and bus companies will discuss pay and conditions as part of their normal negotiations.”
After temporarily weathering the RMT disputes, it will be interesting to see how Boris reacts to further conflict with unions.
A demonstration of bus drivers, engineers and supervisors is planned for the 24th of July.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Andrew on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- gagner plus argent on DodgyVisasRUs – Boris’s Ex-Wife And Recently-Appointed Member Of City Hall’s Muslim Engagement Task Force Can “Pull Strings”
- Dave H on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Alexandra Jane Kirby on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Anonymous on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- Anonymous on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- ASLEF shrugged on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- załóżblogazadarmo.pl on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV