He was at a Tesco branch on Portobello Road when the bike – which he joked was “an old friend” – disappeared.
“It’s priceless to me. I’ve done over a thousand miles on it and three sponsored bike rides of 250 miles each, so it’s like an old friend. It’s fantastic.”
Eh? Three 250 mile rides means 250 miles normal use, which at 9 miles round trip from Notting Hill to Westminster is, er, 28 round trips. Either he’s done a lot more than a thousand miles on it (and is being very modest about ‘over’, which is unlikely for a politician and ex-PR man) or he doesn’t go to work very often or he doesn’t actully *cycle* to work very often, or it’s not really an ‘old friend’ at all. Not all the facts can be true here. If he genuinely cycles to the Commons all the time he’ll do over a thousand miles just on that run in no time at all.
At a guess, as a party leader he doesn’t actually go to the Commons much, except for special occasions like PMQs and big debates (theyworkforyou says he took part in 27% of votes in Parliament, but spoke in 40 debates), and doesn’t use the bike for the other engagements, which are likely to be further away. So the image of ‘Cycling Dave Cameron’ is therefore a bit of a myth, given that going to the Commons is a small part of an Opposition Leader’s itinerary.
Supporting that, his declared gifts include
…helicopter and private plane travel…
from eight individuals or companies.
Or, alternatively, he’s been misquoted by a left wing Sunday tabloid, of course.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Andrew on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- gagner plus argent on DodgyVisasRUs – Boris’s Ex-Wife And Recently-Appointed Member Of City Hall’s Muslim Engagement Task Force Can “Pull Strings”
- Dave H on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Alexandra Jane Kirby on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Anonymous on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- Anonymous on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- ASLEF shrugged on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- załóżblogazadarmo.pl on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV