If it isn’t quite the Sword of Damocles suspended over Ian Blair’s head, it’s certainly the kitchen knife of someone very close to him.
In an leaked email, Kit Malthouse, who, in January, authored a critical Times article headlined ‘Sorry, Noone Voted For You‘, wrote that ‘essentially it’s the mayor’s decision to suspend or not‘, while Dave Riddle, the MPA’s legal adviser, replied that “if there is to be action against the commissioner, it has got to be lawful . . . If the nuclear button is pressed, expect it to be crawled over for legal flaws”.
Malthouse has claimed, amusingly, that he was only investigating the ‘accountability and methodology‘ of a ‘hypothetical situation‘. Don’t borrow that one if your own salacious or incriminating correspondence is uncovered.
Over at Dave Hill’s London: Mayor & More blog, David Boothroyd offers an interesting theory:
“It seems fairly clear to me that someone close to Boris has leaked these emails. Three very good reasons for doing so: 1) Puts Sir Ian Blair on his toes and gives him a very good reason to want to get in Boris’ good books; 2) Highlights the fact that the Mayor is unable to suspend the Met Commissioner, and therefore stops him being accused of failing to do so; 3) Allies the Boris administration clearly with the anti-Sir Ian Blair camp, which looks like gaining political traction.”
I’m certainly sceptical of the idea that there is a plot to unseat Blair. With a Mayor that previously supported his sacking, and a Deputy for Policing that is clearly critical, the moves are rather more overt.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Jonna on Hybrid Fuel Consumption – At Last The Truth?
- Del on SSL Resignalling Contract Canned – Manure/Fan Interface Enabled
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
- Patrick Ainley on Which London Borough Is Swindon In?
- RTC on Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport
- Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport | Boris Watch on Plummeting Cable Car Riders – The Nightmare Continues
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV