Does Boris really expect Londoner to believe he cares for the environment? You might recall Siân Berry and the Alliance Against Urban 4x4s asked the Mayor what he’d do for greener transport in London. He effectively gave them their answer today by cancelling an order for 60 hydrogen vehicles.
These vehicles were to lead the way in greening public transport in London. Their fuel emissions would have been cleaner; exhaust pipes spewing water instead of noxious gas. The research involved could have helped clean London’s air, and reduce strain on fossil fuels. He claims the reduced order of 10 buses and a refuelling station shows the same commitment to cleaner fuel – but, as Green AM Darren Johnson points out, we’ve moved from the largest such project in the UK to something much smaller.
On the same day, Boris has scrapped plans to pedestrianise Parliament Square. He did this on the grounds it’d ruin a, “green glade of heroes.” But anyone who walks through the Square will know it’s neither green nor a glade; it’s a small patch of grass surrounded by a very busy road. A curious omission from someone who apparently worked there as an MP for 7 years.
So there’s your answer, Siân – Boris won’t do much for greener transport in London.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Sharon on Here Comes Summer! Free Sauna With Every “New Routemaster” Trip
- James on Now Is The Time For All Good Men To Sod Off On A Book Tour
- Bitish rail fan on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- RTC on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- Tim Thornton on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- jim tuite on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- john b on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
- Nick on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV