Emma Jacobs in the FT:
“Boris Johnson may be well-versed in Latin – he dropped a bit of Virgil’s Aeneid into his first mayor’s Question Time. He may be well-versed in Shakespeare – he cited Romeo and Juliet to the Commons home affairs select committee. “We need to deglamorise knife crime,” he said. “This is not the death of Mercutio taking place on the streets of London.” But, from his interview this week with the FT, the mayor’s knowledge of science seems lacking. “London is meant to be the Petri dish into which Tory central office is introducing the bacillus of their policies,” he said. Likening your party’s policies to bacteria is an odd strategy. After all, one type of bacillus causes anthrax. Perhaps he meant “friendly bacteria” like the ones on the telly? It’s a timely reminder in the week that the CBI spoke of the need to strengthen science teaching that even those with a first-class education may need to do more than read the back of a Yakult bottle to learn their Petri dishes from their penicillin.”
Incidentally, tonight, for anyone who misses Boris’s diversions into entertainment, the man himself will be scrutinising his past as the focus of an episode of Who Do You Think You Are?
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Jonna on Hybrid Fuel Consumption – At Last The Truth?
- Del on SSL Resignalling Contract Canned – Manure/Fan Interface Enabled
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
- Patrick Ainley on Which London Borough Is Swindon In?
- RTC on Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport
- Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport | Boris Watch on Plummeting Cable Car Riders – The Nightmare Continues
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV