Boris, in response to a question regarding the curtailment of street prostitution…
“In April 2009 I intend to publish my draft Violence Against Women Strategy which will include issues around prostitution.“
Now, let’s remind ourselves of Boris’s little encounter with the Commons…
“Labour’s Margaret Moran says Boris was committed to increasing the number of rape crisis centres in his campaign. So why is he reducing the budget for domestic violence?
Boris says that that is not his policy.
Moran say she understands he has “reduced, downgraded” the GLA’s domestic violence strategy.
Boris, again, refuses to accept this. Malthouse intervenes to help him out.
He says the domestic violence strategy will be incorporated into a broader “violence against women” strategy. So they are extending the commitment, not downgrading it.”
Waiting eleven months before publishing even a draft strategy is a pretty weird way of “extending the commitment“. It also seems to contradict the curiously informed anonymous commenter at The Tory Troll, who assured us that the strategy would take “a few months to put in place“.
Little has been seen of the rape crisis centres, either. Professional Fundraising made one inquiry back in August…
“A pre-election pledge by London Mayor Boris Johnson to commit £700,000 to three new rape crisis centres in London has yet to come to fruition, his press office admitted.
A spokeswoman said it was “still a priority” and was “being worked on” but nothing concrete could be announced yet.”
Will we have to wait until next April, or beyond, to see anything “concrete”?
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Sharon on Here Comes Summer! Free Sauna With Every “New Routemaster” Trip
- James on Now Is The Time For All Good Men To Sod Off On A Book Tour
- Bitish rail fan on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- RTC on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- Tim Thornton on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- jim tuite on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- john b on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
- Nick on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV