Normally when a senior member of Boris’s team leaves, we respond with a mixture of ‘haha’ and ‘phew’. Today we respond with ‘oh shit’. Tim O’Toole, MD of London Underground and one of the best transport managers in the country, has decided his future lies away from leading the Underground through the next few decidedly challenging years.
A US citizen who was awarded an honorary CBE for his organisation’s response to the July 7 attacks, the reasons for his resignation were not clear last night, but it has been an open secret within City Hall that the Underground boss is keen to move back to the United States with his family.
I did pick up rumours that, as an American, he would at some point feel that he’d spent long enough out of the USA. Also, with President Obama in the White House, the prospects for rail-based transit in the USA are brighter than they’ve been for a while, and that could be much more rewarding than trying to balance the demands of the failed PPP structure (which O’Toole always rightly opposed), the recession and Boris’s spending cuts, not to mention all the fun of working with Kulveer Ranger.
When it comes down to it we really don’t know why he’s gone. All that’s certain is that Boris has lost one of the two people he needed to make a go of his transport policy, the other of course being Peter Hendy. Fortunately we still have him, but for how long? Who the hell does Boris get to run LUL? Will Andrew Gilligan be satisfied with the appointment and consequent salary? All this and much more to come, one suspects.
Best of luck, Tim, and thank you.
Update – the Times has more, and suggests it was more sudden and a bit less orderly than the PR suggests.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Alexandra Jane Kirby on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Anonymous on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- Anonymous on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- ASLEF shrugged on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- załóżblogazadarmo.pl on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?” | Boris Watch on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh… | Boris Watch on The New Routemaster – Still Unable To Cope With London Summers
- “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?” | Boris Watch on “Those Problems Are Fixed” – New Bus For London Still A Sweatbox
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV