We’ve recently been reminded that, for our delightful Mayor, conspiracy to commit assault is a ‘colourful tale from the past’ when the perpetrators are Boris and his old chum, giving the impression to Freeborn John, the blogger who released the Darius Guppy tape to Channel 4, that “Johnson does not feel that petty bourgeois morality applies to him and his social circle”.
Well, on a related note, what’s a Mayor to do when he’s been caught breaking the law by cycling through red lights? According to today’s Guardian:
[Boris] has written to the Department for Transport (DfT) to moot a pilot scheme that would allow cyclists to turn left at traffic lights, even if they are on red, as long as they give way to pedestrians. Currently, cyclists can be handed an on-the-spot fine of £30 for running lights.
Of course there are a plethora of problems with this suggestion, mainly stemming from the practicality and enforceability of the ‘as long as’ clause. More discussion – and a good old Yes/No vote on the policy – on Comment is free.
But it certainly reinforces Freeborn John’s point about Boris thinking himself above the law. The Sunday Mirror’s tale last May wasn’t colourful or from the past – it was a simple matter of him being caught on camera as Mayor engaging repeatedly in illegal behaviour – yet was somehow just as easily dismissed at the time, and now we see the next twist is an attempted first step towards the after-the-fact legitimisation of his behaviour. Let’s hope the proposal doesn’t make it into law.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Andrew on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- gagner plus argent on DodgyVisasRUs – Boris’s Ex-Wife And Recently-Appointed Member Of City Hall’s Muslim Engagement Task Force Can “Pull Strings”
- Dave H on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Alexandra Jane Kirby on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- Anonymous on Roastmaster Round-Up – What A Difference A Year Makes. Oh…
- Anonymous on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- ASLEF shrugged on “Which idiot in charge decided to buy buses with windows that don’t open?”
- załóżblogazadarmo.pl on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV