Boris, obviously stung by criticism over Snowday, has decided to go all pro-active ahead of the 48 hour Tube strike:
The Mayor and Transport for London (TfL) have unveiled a raft of extra services as part of a major effort to help Londoners and commuters get around the Capital, if a planned 48-hour Tube strike goes ahead this week.
Plans include extra buses, access to all Greater London National Rail services with Oyster pay as you go, taxi sharing at major rail stations, escorted commuter cycle rides, additional cycle parking and a free River shuttle service.
PAYG on all Greater London National Rail services, eh? That’s nice. However, South West Trains, my local operator, begs to differ:
Members of the RMT union intend to strike on London Underground from 18:59 on Tuesday 9th June 2009 until 18:58 on Thursday 11th June 2009.
During this time South West Trains will be accepting all Transport for London tickets on certain SWT services within the Travelcard boundary. The services are Feltham to Clapham Junction and Waterloo via Kew Bridge or via Richmond; and Wimbledon to Clapham Junction and Waterloo. This includes PAYG and paper tickets.
We shall not be accepting PAYG or paper London Underground tickets at any other SWT station.
By my reckoning that’s quite a few SWT-operated National Rail services in the Z1-6 area which trying your PAYG Oyster at will result in the usual swinging Penalty Fare. The Strawberry Hill line, or the Shepperton branch as far as Hampton, for instance, or the Hampton Court branch, or the Chessington Branch, or the Dorking line as far as Ewell West. Etc.
I *think* what they’ve done is agreed to accept PAYG on lines paralleling Tube lines, so the Feltham lines (paralleling District/Piccadilly) are fine, and the Wimbledon line (paralleling the Northern and District lines) is also obviously included. Further out where there’s no PAYG validity in the area anyway, SWT aren’t accepting it. Not a great bit of co-ordination, really. Over on Twitter, BBCTravelNews are trying to get to the bottom of this after we tipped them off.
Just spoke to TfL who are talking to South West Trains. TfL are still saying all Nat Rail stations taking PAYG oyster, SWT saying not #tube
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Jonna on Hybrid Fuel Consumption – At Last The Truth?
- Del on SSL Resignalling Contract Canned – Manure/Fan Interface Enabled
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
- Patrick Ainley on Which London Borough Is Swindon In?
- RTC on Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport
- Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport | Boris Watch on Plummeting Cable Car Riders – The Nightmare Continues
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV