Understanding Different Cultures
Question No: 3133 / 2009
In light of the Mayor’s advice to non-Muslims to fast during Ramadan in order to ‘understand Muslims better’, would the Mayor urge Muslims to sing carols and eat Christmas pudding at Christmas to understand Christianity?
This is, of course, a reference to the Mayor’s recent visit to the East London Mosque, during which he suggested Londoners: “…fast for a day with your Muslim neighbour and break your fast at the local mosque.”
Now, I hate to break it to Dick, but Islam isn’t a culture, but a religion, and fasting is by no means exclusive to Islam. Christmas Pudding? Where does that feature in the Bible? Christmas pudding evolved via plum porridge from a mediaeval dish known as frumenty, which combined wheat with meat and spices imported from the Middle East, India and China. A remarkably similar dish known as haleem, a wheat porridge with meat and spices, originated in Persia, and is a popular dish for Ramadan amongst Indian and Pakistani Muslims.
Maybe Dick would like a Muslim to explain to him that the celebrations around the time of Christmas were originally pagan, and if he’d really like to celebrate Christmas, he could start by spreading the message of peace and goodwill to all, regardless of their creed or colour.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Vickey on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- inversion table on South London Line Woes
- Harry on Boris Johnson Allegedly Assaulted On A Train
- Chris on Boris Johnson Allegedly Assaulted On A Train
- maureen insole on Sir Peter Hendy, Commissioner of Transport for London: “It’s not a political issue……”
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV