Reading Boris’s weekly chickenfeed-fuelled rants for the Telegraph Conservative-Party-In-Exile faithful, I was struck by this paragraph, in a piece about people in the public eye taking limos instead of Tubes etc.
I am talking about the entire clerisy of officials, quangocrats and public functionaries of all kinds – tens of thousands of them in London alone – who still believe they are entitled to be picked up in the morning, and then taken home in the evening, and ferried to lunch or shopping in between, and all of them – from NHS hierarchs to the ruling elite of the National Trust, more or less subsidised by the poor bleeding taxpayer.
Well, this poor bleeding taxpayer would love to use the Tube more, but some berk keeps putting the fares up well above inflation, a policy that looks to continue next year. Perhaps Boris would like to send a limo round to say sorry?
Anyway, that’s not my point – what on earth have the National Trust done to deserve Boris’s ire? Solid, middle class, conservative – he ought to like that? Well, the current Chairman (since late 2008) is one Simon Jenkins, a one time Boris supporter who’s been increasingly snarky about Boris on the subject of tall buildings, Crossrail, Olympics, roadworks, South London etc. and even (since Boris’s piece) called for ‘micro-mayors’ to take power down to street level. Surely the Mayor wouldn’t use his well-paid position on a national paper to get a bit of a dig back? After all, if we find Jenkins tiresome in the paper, how annoying must he be buttonholing the Mayor at every event with his latest bright idea?
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Sharon on Here Comes Summer! Free Sauna With Every “New Routemaster” Trip
- James on Now Is The Time For All Good Men To Sod Off On A Book Tour
- Bitish rail fan on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- RTC on Off-Peak One Day Oyster Cap Withdrawn By Boris Johnson – Daily Oyster Fares Increased By Up To 38%
- Tim Thornton on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- jim tuite on The New Routemaster – What Transport For London Refuse To Admit
- john b on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
- Nick on Silvertown Tunnel Consultation
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV