What you won’t read. Quick maths to see how much capacity the 24 will lose when shiny new Borismasters take over in June:
- PVR 27 (buses on the road at peak time)
- Current mix of buses:
- 5: H39/21D Volvo B5L / Wrightbus Gemini 2 hybrid double deckers (VWH’s)
- 24: H39/23D Volvo B9TL / Wrightbus Gemini 2 double deckers
- Assuming all 5 lower capacity hybrids are in use along with 22 diesels that’s
- 39*27 = 1053 top deck seats
- 21*5 + 23*22 = 611 lower deck seats
- All of these can carry up to 87 passengers* as they come in 100kg under the 12,000kg mark, so that’s 27*5 for the hybrids and 25*22 for the diesels = 685 standees
- Future 27 NB4Ls:
- 40*27 = 1080 top deck seats
- 22*27 = 594 lower deck seats
- 18*27 = 486 standees
Summing up we go from:
- Top deck: 1053 to 1080, increase of 2.5%
- Lower deck seats: 611 to 594, decrease of 2.8%
- Standees: 685 to 486, decrease of 29.1%
- Lower deck total: 1296 to 1080, decrease of 16.7%
- Total capacity: 2349 to 2160, decrease of 8.0%
I’ve no idea how crowded the route is at present, but losing 16%+ of your lower deck capacity overnight would hurt most inner London routes where people don’t always check upstairs.
* Wrightbus actually claim 91 as a maximum with 29 standees on the two door B9TL, but I’ve gone with the TfL specification of 87.
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Cycle Hire Use Is Falling | Londonist on Is Barclays Cycle Hire In Trouble?
- prank apps on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- Biedronka gazetka alkohole on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- Boris by numbers | The Musings of a Red Dalek on Venezuela Cash Watch 1/9/08
- http://the-light-fantastic.info/ on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- ジーパン ファッション on Oyster On South West Trains In Jeopardy
- minilanet.bloggplatsen.se on Photography Corner: Andrew Gilligan and Lee Jasper *UPDATED*
- FreeBBC on So, Did Boris Flog Any Buses To The Chinese?
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV