I’ve been a bit remiss in posting various researches that have appeared on other forums, so I’m going to put them here in a big lump. First off, Red Arrow bus types and capacities over time:
Bus Seats Stands Total %sts %stnds stnds/sts ratio
MBS 25 48 73 34% 66% 1.92
N/nal2 28 [...]
A brief round up of online reaction to the 521 debendification over the weekend. Notably less pro-Boris cheerleading this time round:
A post worth quoting in its entirety from the Skyscraper City Forums:
Red shows districts in local authorities that voted for Ken Livingstone.
Blue shows districts in local authorities that voted for Boris Johnson.
12: Dulwich – Peckham – Walworth – Elephant & Castle – Oxford St
18: Sudbury – Wembley [...]
Andrew Gilligan, writing as kennite, ross281, etc., opined that the reason for his hatred of bendy buses was all about the seating capacity:
With only 2,009 seats available in the peak hour, as against 3,960 under the old Routemaster regime,the “new 73” was not better from every angle at all (PX, 2005, as himself)
Boris has finally grasped what we’ve been saying for a while – sticking to a contract expiry timetable for bendy replacement means 100 or so bendies in service in May 2012, likely more than any species of Routemaster and thus highly politically damaging. Naturally no stone must be left unturned and no pound unspent to [...]
Nine bendy buses running the Waterloo to Victoria route are the first to be replaced. The Mayor also announced that the entire fleet of 396 buses will have left the capital by the end [...]
Naturally, when Boris’s people embargoed the staggering news that he’s appearing in Eastenders (we weren’t included in an embargo, being Beyond Civilisation in blog terms) we cynical sods wondered if he was burying anything. So far nothing’s come to light, but there are two things this week that might use a diversion. First off, the [...]
A few more things from the Routermater trainwreck to add to the pile:
There’s now a requirement to cover up the gap at the back. This is known to the sane majority of transport observers as a ‘door’. Nearly 100% of buses have them already, I understand. Apparently the conductor is now not a [...]
While I was away, the Evening Same Old Low Standard picked up on the imminent debendifications of the 507 and 521 documented here over the past few months, after the 31 spare vehicles were put up for sale. Keith Ludeman of Go-Ahead, the large bus conglomerate which runs the London General company is also [...]
A serial-hybrid bendy with hub-mounted motors, expected to enter service in late 2009. B-b-b-but we keep being told that only Boris can save the planet with his new Routemaster. and now the Germans are ahead of us? Schweinhund!
The support of politicians and the public sector in the form of subsidies is required to [...]
Contact usSend us an e-mail at staff [at] boriswatch.co.uk
- Jonna on Hybrid Fuel Consumption – At Last The Truth?
- Del on SSL Resignalling Contract Canned – Manure/Fan Interface Enabled
- Patrick Ainley on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Jim on Fancy Paying For The Privilege Of Watching London’s Part-Time Mayor Publicise His New Book?
- Mayor Johnson's air quality claims are worthless while he's planning new roads, Silvertown Tunnel campaigners say | No to Silvertown Tunnel on More LBC Transcripts – East London River Crossings?
- Patrick Ainley on Which London Borough Is Swindon In?
- RTC on Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport
- Boris Johnson Continues To Squander Transport For London’s Budget On His Fantasy Estuary Airport | Boris Watch on Plummeting Cable Car Riders – The Nightmare Continues
Tagsagendas BBC BBC London bendy Boris Airport borisport broken promises budget bus buses crime culture cycling earnings environment Gilligan grasp of detail humour incompetence jobs Johnson Administration Ken Livingstone lies Mayor's Question Time olympics police Policy Exchange Press questions Rape Ray Lewis resignation RMT Routemaster salaries Speeches spin strike Stuff On Nonsense team TfL transparency transport tube TV